Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Nerf Gun



I'm not a crazy fan of nerf, but it was fun while i was a kid. In any event my college wing has gone nuts about it. So I figured I'd join in the fun - but in my own special way ;D

I started by working on the firing mechanism, and propulsion system. As I knew that would make or break the final part. I decided to a complete backyard engineering design due to limited time (and I was confident I could do it.) I bought a package of nerf rounds for under 10$, and 30$ worth of PVC (I have a lot left over now.) I als
o bought a nice sized 7$ spring from Diamond hardware store, and a few random other fastener pieces etc. Probably spent a total of 8 hours making this thing. Used a Dremel, power drill, pipe cutter, superglue, and some time to come out with this:




Performance:
Muzzle Velocity : (Unknown)
Effective range: 0-130 feet
Max Range: 150-200 feet

These are merely approximations, but it easily has 3 times the range of a traditional nerf gun. I believe if I took the time to tweak it some more, and make custom rounds it would increase performance further.

No comments:

Post a Comment