Thursday, June 6, 2019

Playing with Mapbox

I was playing around with mapbox in Unity 2019.1.5f1 and it gave me an error, after some googling i figured out a simple solution. I'm not messing around with AR, so i deleted these folders and then the project compiled. I figured this is good too because its a bunch of AR assets that I wouldn't be using anyway:

  • GoogleARCore
  • MapboxAR
  • UnityARInterface
  • UnityARKitPlugin
Another interesting note, is I tried to load mapbox into a premade scene with HDRP settings and something with the shaders was messed up. My globe came in purple, at least when i did a blank scene it rendered correctly. I didn't feel like trying to fix it, but long term might be worth the effort to get the juicy visual quality that unity can provide. 

After poking around with the tutorial I was able to get some decent looking results. I'm pleased with this result with such little effort! Not to be picky, but I noticed some of the buildings weren't identified, I presume this is loaded from some ML defined satellite database analyzed by google or mapbox with some building classifier... Interesting!  Probably good for prototyping but this wouldn't be contextually perfect. Also, the resolution does do pretty well wherever you zoom in, but its a little worse than google in terms of resolution. 

That said, scaling up the extents and zoom really provides amazing results! What a powerful tool!



No comments:

Post a Comment