Thursday, September 10, 2009

Quick post - tired

Worked on the CNC frame with Troy today, we made some real progress on the Z-axis. Learned a great deal from watching him model. Kept the tasks coming, as we were working efficiently. Troy couldn't start cutting his practice spindle because of the difficulties in cutting a section of the steel off to dimension. We probably will need to borrow Bryan's Chop saw for that task.

I also did some work on some airsoft parts today on the laser cutting machine. Various prototypes are being fabricated for bench comparisons of the different part geometries. (forgive my lack of proper english - i am tired.)

Lastly, I attempted to get the ball rolling on using the CNC machine again. While I was able to generate G-code and cut a part before the shop has changed some of the CNC's control software so we no longer have to remove G28's but now we need to change our post-processor in our CAM software to not use G43 commands. I made a post on cnczone to find a fix about this:

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=663482#post663482

I also did a bit of research on speeds and feeds for plastics here's what I got:
http://www.niagaracutter.com/techinfo/common_mat/polyprop.html
http://www.blurtit.com/q534090.html

I ended up choosing a speed of 766 RPM, with 7.5 IPM (~450 SFPM) with a 3/16 end mill. I'm going by memory for all those, so forgive me if there is a mistake. All that information was derived from the two websites above.

No comments:

Post a Comment