Saturday, August 29, 2009

More purchases, and more to come


I've purchased the spindle bearings for Troy's spindle design. He ran some calculations on the angular contact bearings, and also found some ebay bearings that had an ABEC-3 rating. I also purchased a CNC4PC control board that will be used to interface and control the DC motor for the spindle.

Short of 1 Capacitor, I think we have all the major electrical components. I've begun frame design once again starting from scratch, as I've learned some assumptions were not correct that I was working with before. I am particularly concerned with of each axis, as I found in my research that it is difficult to find swarf guarding material of the appropriate size. I want to completely model the frame before making the ballscrew purchase, as we know where to do that. Although, i'm feeling the pinch of time. So i'm thinking I should get that done within the next week.

As I keep track of the fiscal performance of our project. We are in the clear so far, I hope we can stay on track. If anything we are slightly under our projected cost.

In other developments, I reassembled my M4 airsoft rifle, after Troy and I inspected the internals for future projects. You can see some points in the procedure from the pictures. It was actually a lot more complicated to re-assemble than the picture's show. With the anti-reversal latch, and some springs that just didn't want to stay put, I had to come up with some clever ways to hold them in place. Using my Allen wrenches, and some electrical tape, I was able to fix the components in place until I could close the mechbox and remove them. I also had to use the motor's magnets to magnetize my screwdriver, so I could manuever the screws into the pistol grip successfully.


I also setup and started up an old computer, that had problems in the past. I confirmed that the primary harddrive has some bad sectors, and cannot boot to windows. I used a bootable linux OS to take a gander at the drives. The Raid-0 array was fine, all the data on those drives were unscathed. Ironically, it was the single OS hard drive that failed. I was pleased to find no faults in any of the other hardware.





No comments:

Post a Comment