Saturday, August 8, 2009

Progress, but slow


I'm getting this lingering feeling that all the projects I'm doing are getting spread too thin. There is considerable progress when you look at the big picture, but I feel they are getting off track. This shotgun approach to picking tasks I don't think works for the longterm. I may need to review my project goals, and evaluate what would be the most worthwhile use of my time. Despite this I'm still having fun, and doing really cool things.

Like today I started and finished an End-mill box. I'm becoming more proficient at developing and converting designs to be used with the Epilogue laser cutter. Here are two things I made today:


An endmill box and a Metric/English Ruler. I accounted for the laser's thickness to be .004" this made a very snug fit. So snug in fact that when i first assembled it - it took me a full 10 minutes to pry it apart to put the ribs in. I'm going to have to come up with a solution for that. Possibly a bit of simple sanding. I'll have to make a second box as I apparently have about twice as many endmills as depicted.

The ruler, didn't come out that great because the driver interpreted some of the lines that I intended to be engraved, as cutting lines. So the ruler is fairly serrated as the image shows. I'll have to make more later, but hey at least its decently accurate and useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment