Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Carbon Fiber arrived!


My order of carbon fiber (2 yards) and some epoxy/hardener arrived! I also got a vapor mask because i just know my future will be filled with dangerous chemicals and plenty of dust.

I'm going to make a carbon fiber cane for my grandpa. I also went to Lowes and Home depot to buy extruded polystyrene (pink/blue stuff). It is sold in 8'x4' sections so i had to score it in the parking lot and break it in half to fit in my 4runner. Lowes didn't have it, they only had that white foam that breaks poorly (bad for sanding to a smooth finish.) So thats why i ended up going to Home Depot.

I also stopped by TAP plastics on the way. They surprisingly had carbon fiber there 60$/yard. Along with fiberglass and some other reinforcement materials. I saw mylar reflective plastic, several casting compound. They even had Delrin! I'm going to remember that for when I build a CNC or lathe. they also had some scraps for acrylic and polycarbonates. I may have to pick some up for the laser etching machine...

No comments:

Post a Comment