Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fly cutter test



The fly cutter was tested today! Admittedly, I still have to use these silly bolts that "bump" into each other because that is all i could find at Lowe's/Home Depot. Apparently it's not wise to make something 1/4-28 NF thread. I did see quite a bit of 10-32 NF though.



I hand ground a HSS-cobalt blank on the cheap Ryobi 6" grinder at the shop. I noticed the wheels were pretty dirty from dust/aluminum. So I located the dresser, and dressed both wheels (they were in bad condition.) From there I found a bucket of water and got to work using cnccookbook.com as a guide. The rounded edge for cutting was the hardest part. I think i took a little too much off so it likes like 10-20 thousands wide, where the guide i read said you should go for 3-6 thousands. Oh well. It worked!

Here is a v-block i used earlier, and i faced one side with the fly cutter in a jiffy, hand feeding around 4ipm at 660 rpm. (High speed i know - but there is no lower gear on that machine.)

1 comment:

  1. http://cnccookbook.com/MTMillSurfaceFinish.htm

    This page shows some geometry on a facing lathe bit for a fly cutter.

    ReplyDelete