Friday, July 24, 2009

CNC + finished something!



The fly cutter is just about done! I drilled and tapped the fly cutter, so there is no more metal work to be done on it. The tap set i bought from hall tool (cheap chinese one) didn't work. The threads wouldn't start, I think its because they rounded the front of the taps. *sigh. The shop mechanic had some good taps that he let me borrow. I simply wish i had money to buy American all the time. All that is left to go to the store and buy longer grub screws. The ones i had bought were 1/4" long - i don't know what i was thinking when i bought them. (Picture to come later)

Other developments: I measured and designed a new airsoft part, then i went to the techshop and laser cut a 10 of them. I got the acrylic plastic from TAP plastics. Picture of a freshly cut part is below. I think i need to fine tune it because of some warping during the cuts.

Grant, Troy and I finally decided to get started on our CNC machine. I put some bids on ebay, but i was outbid. (sadface) We'll see how that goes as we progress. Now i'm doing researching doing calculations to size our ballscrews appropriately. We have access to a free 3 HP motor so it's hard to choose ballscrews that won't be able to use the motor to it's full potential. So now Troy and I are deliberating what strength screws we want.

https://tech.thk.com/en/products/thk_cat_main_fourth.php?id=878 is a good reference for determining the force a ballscrew of a given diameter can take. You'll have to convert to pounds force since it is in Newtons, but that's easy with google.

No comments:

Post a Comment