Monday, July 13, 2009

Starting to machine

So I visited troy's house today. He has an amazing pad for building and working on stuff! I'm so glad he's working on projects with me. Once we rallied up, we went to a local scrap yard, and purchased 170 pounds of steel. Split up evenly that set out to be about 30 bucks each person, which I found amazingly low cost.

By the time we did a few errands and made it to the shop to start working it was 4:00. We were pinched on time so we got right to work, this cold-rolled steel stock we was better than the "drive axle" metal that I had attempted to machine the previous night. We are setting out to make two fly cutters including arbor. I was plagued with chatter from one of these machines (which hadn't happened to me before with my grinded HSS). I tried 3 different tools, several different compound angles, and cutting fluid, along with various cutting speeds. It was a southbend lathe at fixed gear ratios so the speed ranges were a little limited. Looking at charts for cutting speed were negligibly useful because there was no indication of speed anywhere on the machine.

So after switching to another southbend and yet again another cutting tool I found a setting that worked (no/little chatter)! The cutter was darn near perpendicular to the work piece, for whatever reason this worked best. I set to work taking about 20 thousand/25 thousand cuts. Fairly deep - time was alas limited. The workpiece got fairly hot, hot enough that i wouldn't want to touch it for more than a second or two. I stopped there to let the workpiece cool off. I was glad we were making progress, as it took so long to setup and get a setting that would reasonably cut. Meanwhile, Troy had finished regreasing/rebuilding a harbor freight grinder.

A good day.

1 comment:

  1. I would highly recommend Le_ meridian funding services to any person in need financial help and they will keep you on top of high directories for any further needs. Once again I commend yourself and your staff for extraordinary service and customer service, as this is a great asset to your company and a pleasant experience to customers such as myself. Wishing you all the best for the future.Le meridian funding service is best way to get an easy loan,here is there email..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com  Or talk to Mr Benjamin On WhatsApp Via_+1-989-394-3740 Thank You for helping me with loan once again in my sincerely heart I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete