Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Excited, overwhelmed, and tired

Bryan and I hit up sears and the Techshop today. He reminded me of the beauty of craftsman tools - the fact that you can have them easily replaced at sears. I was particularly eying the bandsaw and drill press they both were about 150$ but were decently made. I was a little concerned with the runout on the spindle for the drillpress. It looked like 10 thousands of an inch play(just a guess.)

We got to the techshop and I spent awhile setting up my dial indicator on the gorton mill. I also cracked a part of my harbor freight magnetic stand (plastic part) that clamps the dial indicator down. This happened because i effectively "overtorqued" the part. I guess thats what u get for harbor freight. It wasn't a big deal though, it still clamped down, it just had a noticeable crack in it afterwards.

Using the V-block I had finished the other day I clamped fixed up the fly cutter tool that was recently turned on the lathe. I begun milling the center slot and ran out of time. I eyed my niagara cutter again (2nd one) and noticed concave portions on the flutes. I was a bit worried about it. After I finish this operation I'm going to have my cutters reground if i can figure out where or how to do it. I still was cutting on 660 RPM with a 1/2" bit probably hand feeding at about 1 ipm. Strangely enough the cutter still makes a beautiful finish despite the dullness in the middle of the flutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment