Friday, July 10, 2009

Solid Modeling Packages...

How many packages??
At OIT I learned Autocad for drafting, and IDEAS for solid modeling, and FEA. Having to switch between two software titles was mildly annoying. I heard that this year they are switching completely to solidworks, and/or CATIA for both FEA and Solid modeling. After talking to my professor and friends, I discovered industry tends to prefer solidworks/CATIA. So i basically learned all the fundamental modeling/FEA concepts on a bug-ridden IDEAS package that I most likely will never use again.

Solidworks is awesome!
This summer I picked up the solidworks book my school will use from the bookstore, and just dove in. I'm a little past halfway through the book, and am feeling very good about solidworks. It actually has an undo function!(unlike IDEAS which Ctrl+Z can destroy your model) Great stuff! I'm even learning a software package I may use in industry!

CNC beginnings..
Anyways, I signed up for the CNC classes at the portlandtechshop this summer. They taught TurboCAD and TurboCAM to model/generate G-code for the mach3 controller on their prolight Desktop CNC. I was less than impressed with turbocad, it felt like IDEAS all over again. But at least there's undo! I made my first plastic part. Later I purchased a 1/2" 1/4" center-cutting end-mill's from hall tool. After spending with my friend Troy we were able to successfully go from a part in solidworks to a physical plastic part in real life! What a refreshing feeling. You get this immense feeling of power to imagine something and see it created before your eyes in absolute perfection (ok fine near perfection - 0.0005" tolerance)!

I absolutely love my major's.

No comments:

Post a Comment